Friday, September 27, 2019

What I want to change about Uni.



I would love to change Uni’s academic culture. By that, I mean how we talk about and handle grades, tests, presentations, etc. I think as a senior applying to college I see very often this unhealthy view of how we need to prepare and act around academics. It’s no secret that Uni students are stressed but, as Dr. Majerus pointed out to our utopias and dystopias class, there is healthy stress and unhealthy stress. Healthy stress is the stuff that motivates us and makes us do our best, the butterflies in our stomach before a game or performance that help us work hard. Unhealthy stress is the stuff that makes us lose sleep at night, set unrealistic goals, and overall leave us unhappy. I see a lot of the latter here. At Uni there has always been a big element of comparing grades, you knew who were the smart kids in your grade for each subject since subbie year and they would seem as if they were on another, unattainable level. Even in the application process to get into Uni, among the people I knew you were pretty much defined by your SSAT score, even though essays were heavily taken into account, all that mattered to the other kids was the score. Don’t get me wrong I am happy where I am happy at Uni, but I have never once felt like the smartest person in the room (not that it matters or can truly be quantified), I’ve honestly never felt in the top 10 even. And I know I am not the only one to feel this way. I believe there is validity to the side of the argument that says you need people better than you to push you, however, I believe that this needs to be complemented with a culture that promotes you to believe you can do what you want. I never felt that if I studied all night I would be as smart as someone else, I always felt like I was just born more stupid.


I think this also ties into the conversation about what being “smart” even means. I don’t think someone's level of intelligence solely relies on test scores or grades, despite what we seem to hear everywhere. When you are considering a college the first thing you look into is average acceptance rate depending on GPA and SAT/ACT scores even though we have to write essays we sort of get the notion that unless you have a lot going for you if your numbers aren’t high enough you’re not going to get in. I personally believe the largest indicator of intelligence is critical thinking but we can save that for another blog post. I think throughout the years at Uni I have noticed a change there is less direct asking about grades and scores yet there is still a large percent of the student body who compares themselves. This is a dangerous mentality, often it doesn't prepare you for inevitable failure in life. If you define yourself by the number of A’s you have you are setting yourself up for hurt. There is an element of pushing yourself to your best but at what cost.





As much as I had to complain about something without trying to provide a solution, I am really not sure what to do about this. In my Utopias and Dystopias English class last year we talked extensively and voted on the idea of not using grades and just going to a pass or fail system. Although this sounded cool when everyone learned it wouldn’t positively affect our GPA’s we voted against that and decided to remain with the usual grading system. Even if Uni was to stop using grades I am not sure that would help. Once we apply to college we would need to prove ourselves to that school through more tests and even more pressure on those tests. I guess this indicates that this issue is way beyond Uni. Even if we didn’t have grades teachers would still have to mark if we made an error and I think you would still find us comparing ourselves in some other way. There definitely does need to be less emphasis on defining yourself by your grades. Feel free to leave any suggestions in the comments.

10 comments:

  1. I used to be the type of person who would always compare and judge my capability. I agree with you that it's insanely unhealthy. Here's my two cents: I don't think we're going to find an utopian system. Students need a little competition or there wouldn't be a point to try to excel. Even in med school, tests are pass/fail, but they still have percentages to separate what career paths a student can get into. Ideally, you'd want someone with a high score on medical test to do surgery than someone who barely passed. However, I do think people need to define intelligence differently. I completely understand the feeling of thinking you're one of the dullest in the room. Yes, there are people who are born geniuses, but we need put more emphasis on work ethic. We all hide away when we study and it gives the impression that we are just naturally smart. There should be more transparency: success comes from the effort we put in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think because Uni already has very competitive students (as you said, getting into Uni and that process is competitive) and most of us were used to being the top of our class in the school we went to before, people see it as "threatening" to have a real challenge and be pushed. Aside from even comparing grades, people also use how hard you work to determine how smart you are (and I'm first to say I unconsciously do this sometimes). For example, if my friend and I get the same grade on a test but I spent longer studying for it, then she's smarter. That mentality shows that people really just care about your pure knowledge and don't take into account hard work, which is something that we need to change. Also, some people look down upon working hard, they'll say "they study too much", well maybe they need to to succeed, as if it's a negative thing or looked less of that they study more, if that even makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with your assessment. What I've noticed in recent years is also really similar particularly with college stuff really coming up. However I think Uni students want to appear like they try or want to compare grades. What I hear a lot is "wow, I did soooo bad at that test. I'm so stupid I only got a 85". Like that's a really great grade but they're putting themselves down just so you can validate them and make them feel better all while they appear cool and unbothered. I don't mind people sharing their scores or grades or whatever, as long as they're honest about it maybe something like "yeah, I got a 92 but I studied a lot and I try very hard in this class". I absolutely hate when people say "this class is soooo easy" or "i'm just gonna sleep in class" because often that class is easy only them but it might be really hard for someone else. Anyway thats my TedTalk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with this post. However, when students apply to Uni they should have some idea that there's going to be more academic competition here than at other schools, because Uni is more academically focused. I think that's why it's more competitive here. But when it gets to an unhealthy point, it's not good for the mental health of the students. You shouldn't brag about your own grades, or ask others what they got on a test. That's common sense. We just need to find a way to be academically competitive in a way that pushes students to do their best, not bring others down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. I feel like the compulsive need to flex happens mostly with the hardest classes too. Like I hear the most comments about great grades despite minimal studying with physics and math, and they're really off-putting. I'm in physics because I like hearing Ray talk, I don't care about how Jeremy studied during passing period and got a 25/20 or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. I hate how everyone compares themselves to each other and I hate how I end up falling into that kind of culture by constantly telling myself I'm not working hard enough or I'm not as smart as everyone else and things like that. My ideal environment would be somewhere where there is a healthy amount of competition so that everyone is pushed to do their best and collaborate instead of trying to be better than each other. Unfortunately, due to the larger culture academics, there isn’t really a good way to shift into this. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow facts. Throughout my life grades were always associated with competition. As soon as a test was handed back, several people would ask me what I got, trying to find the best score. It was like a reality TV show and we were going eliminations. I know this is an unhealthy mindset as well as environment, but like you stated I have no solution in mind. We will always find something to be competitive at Uni, and I think that is because you have to be competitive in order to get into Uni. So, it is all just built in. Anyway, great post Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's incredibly interesting that Uni's admin, to its credit, doesn't push this mentality at all. If anything, they push back against it. It's the kids that Uni admits that push this environment, maybe not intentionally, but still. It's by our own hands. There needs to be a solid shift in the culture.

    Also that tidbit about your class voting against P/F when it was discovered that it doesn't impact GPA was incredibly illuminating. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think the stress mentality can be stopped from happening because it is a student by student basis thing. Not everyone experiences it from the same factors, and it's not like Uni is the only place where students are stressing. The big difference is that there are so few of us people will build on each others stress instead of reducing it. If the SSO did an OPTIONAL stress management thing I think it could be helpful, but if it's required people will be against it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I really relate to this. I completely understand feeling like everyone is smarter than you. When you put very goal-oriented, high achieving, intelligent people into the same environment, it can become very toxic. Going into Uni, I had no idea how competitive it would be, and it came as a shock. I remember freshman year, when the bio test grades would come in, everyone would literally stop in the middle of the hallway and check their grades.
    I agree that it is difficult to find a solution--the culture needs to change.

    ReplyDelete