Tuesday, November 26, 2019

A word I like, vibe

I really like the word “vibe” I think it encapsulates the inexplicable feelings you feel after interacting with someone. The word feeling is too vulnerable and makes it seem super subjective and simply based on how your feeling, this may be the same for vibe but I don't really see it that way. Vibe is less emotional and it really just is the indescribable feeling I get from something.

The word vibe comes from vibrations as if all things have these vibrations that come off of them that are indicative of the intentions, mood, and more. Vibe for me has usually meant something along the lines of after an interaction with someone I have picked up on something. If someone I know well has weird vibrations it probably means something wrong. If I meet someone new and after an interaction, I feel like they had good vibes that probably means I have the feeling we are going to get along well. More recently the word vibe has become much more prevalent in pop culture. Since it is currently pretty popular it’ll become uncool to say eventually, when this day comes I will be sad. Something else that makes me sad about the word vibe is that it isn’t very respected because everyone just sees it as a joke when I think there is actually something to it.

Vibe is also just a fun word to say. There is a V as well as an I that you really pronounce so it kind of a fun word to say, and it's short so it is really easy to say. Vibe is also good if you don’t have proof of your feelings. Vibe doesn’t require you to have a bunch of examples with physical proof to say something about it. I could have just exchanged a few words with someone and still have good vibes about them. This could definitely be used in a not so great way by jumping to conclusions or judging someone without actually knowing them.

A vibe you get from something doesn’t even have to be from a living thing, it can literally just be the vibe you get from a place. A dark cold room might give off a scary vibe. A park outside on a nice day might have more of a chill happy vibe. I like using vibe to express my feelings in a way that isn’t super serious, I could say I am getting bad vibes but it wouldn’t inherently be taken in a negative way like if I said I didn’t like the place.

So overall I just like the vibe of the word vibe.

8 comments:

  1. This blog post passes the vibe check. I love the idea of "vibing". Just existing. Being. That's how it is. The word is so indescribable but somehow universally understood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that word too.
    It's cool how it describes something we can't quite explain in other words. It's what we sense in the aura of someone/something, even if we can't explain why we feel that way.
    Cool post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the word vibe stems from touch. The word makes it seems like you felt something from an object. E.g. Your example of a place that gives scary vibes makes me think I should get goosebumps. Perhaps "feeling" comes more from self-analysis and what we register in our thoughts vs "vibe" which seems more instinctual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the word vibe too. I'm really sensitive to people's "vibes", and I always notice people's energy. Sometimes people just have really good energy and it's great when you can just "vibe" with someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is probably my word of the year. Vibe just feels like a nice word that has alot of meaning based on context. I also make my Spotify playlists based on vibes like a late night vibe, summer day, etc. Love that word though

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems the internet liked this word too, making the "vibe check" a meme. Either people pass and are congratulated, or fail and are quickly terminated. If you search this up on google images you'll see the gist of it. I remember starting to say the word jokingly, but I've soon grown to enjoy the word as you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also really like the word vibe. It’s really cool that you looked at the stem of the word. I also find it upsetting that vibe isn’t really a respected word. I remember writing something (I think it was an email) and asking my sister for feedback and she had told me that I shouldn’t use “vibe” because it wasn’t formal enough. I don't think I've ever been more upset at her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If vibe doesn't make it into the dictionary I will be extremely disappointed. It such a useful word for a nonspecific feeling or action. My favorite vibes are definitely late night glow sky vibes.

    ReplyDelete